Saturday, June 23, 2007

Choosing My Rhysling Faves: Hard!

Well, yesterday, I finally filled out my ballot for the Rhysling Awards, and this morning off it went in the mail.

Choosing short form poems was pretty much a cinch. There had been some I kept going back to reread--always with pleasure--so those were my top three.

Long form was harder. I really had five I loved, and choosing three, and putting those three in order was so hard. Still, there was one that, after multiple rereadings, kept yielding surprises and delight and made me feel things in that really deep place that poetry has a way of slipping into. So, that was number one. The others that didn't wear on me on rereading went to 2 and 3.

I did not vote for my own nominated poem, "Into the Heart." I like it. I think I did a very good job with it. I am proud of it. I like it better every time I read it. I done good.

But when it came down to it, I couldn't say with all honesty it was in MY top three. I suppose some poets will vote for themselves, and that's cool, but I'd have felt like a total dork.

So, best of luck to the nominees, and I hope my choices for number one win. Heh.

No comments: